What you are likely to find on our pagesWe are an eclectic bunch and will read pretty much anything that comes our way!
Of course, with so much to read and so little time, the main discriminant is usually an eye-catching cover and a good bit of blurb.
We are interested in both Fiction and Non-Fiction, an our main areas of interest are:
- Crime, Mystery & Thriller
- Middle Grade
- New Adult
- Sci-Fi & Fantasy (any type of speculative fiction)
- Teens & YA
- Contemporary Romance
- Erotic Romance
- Women's Fiction
- Literary Fiction
Our personal interests lie in nature photography, nutrition, technology & gadgets, DIY, gardening, cooking, home brewing (especially all things mead), felines and board games (especially D&D and Pandemic).
Join us at here at BooksChatter for all things books (reviews, cover reveals and sneak peeks)!
Book CategoryWe follow the definitions set out by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America for their Nebula Awards:
- Short Story: less than 7,500 words;
- Novelette: at least 7,500 words but less than 17,500 words;
- Novella: at least 17,500 words but less than 40,000 words
- Novel: 40,000 words or more.
Our rating systemsWe use a rating system which is in line with Goodreads, as we feel that is a fairer system which is geared towards positive reviewing, unlike Amazon which appears to be skewed towards making bad reviews look better, presumably for sale purposes (as you can see from the table below).
NOTE: although GoodReads is owned by Amazon they use different rating systems.
If we do not like a book, we feel that it is good enough to say just that.
Do you really need a distinction between "I hated it" and "I did not like it"?
We do not think so; in fact we find it quite insulting.
An author deserves more respect than that for the work they did put into their book, no matter your personal opinion of it. For this reason, our rating system never uses a ★ ☆ stars rating.
We however feel the need to distinguish between good writing and truly exceptional writing, hence our 10 steps rating system (where the empty stars are worth 0.5).
Booklikes / Leafmarks /
|Goodreads / Barns&Noble||Amazon|
|I hated it||★|
|I did not like it / Poor||★||★||★ ★|
|It's OK / Below Average||★ ★||★ ★||★ ★ ★|
|I kind of liked it / Nearly Good||★ ★ ☆|
|I liked it / Good||★ ★ ★||★ ★ ★||★ ★ ★ ★|
|I liked it a lot / Better than Good||★ ★ ★ ☆|
|I really liked it / Very Good||★ ★ ★ ★||★ ★ ★ ★|
|It was memorable / Extremely Good||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|I loved it / Exceptional||★ ★ ★ ★ ★||★ ★ ★ ★ ★||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
- Google's use of the DoubleClick cookie enables it and its partners to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and/or other sites on the Internet.
- BooksChatter is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Local.Amazon.co.uk.